I had the great honor of interviewing the talented cartoonist Tom Falco. I hope you will enjoy this interview. Happy Reading! 😀
A Little About Tom Falco
My name is Tom Falco, I am a cartoonist and Journalist. I live in Miami Florida and have since my family moved here when I was a boy. My comic strip Tomversation (www.Tomverstion.com) is published daily at the Tomversation website among various other places. I am the publisher of the Coconut Grove Grapevine, the daily news of the town I live in, a small village in Miami, FL (www.coconutgrovegrapevine.com). I am a local activist, involved in many community projects and events.
• When and how’d you get into cartooning?
I just have always drawn cartoons, ever since I can remember.
• Can you remember one of the first things you drew?
Fred Flintstone, I always drew Fred Flintstone as a kid. (I was the kid, not Fred Flintstone).
• Where do your ideas for cartoons come from?
Just every day life, I’ll hear a funny phrase or a new movie, news event or tv show may get me to thinking of something funny about that subject. I like wordplay and the sound of words. Things just pop into my head, my mind is always working.
• How long does it take to make one cartoon?
I used to do very detailed, colorful cartoons which took an hour or so each, now with my new characters, Tom the Rabbit and Jacomo the Mole, I use a simpler, cleaner style, so they take about half an hour to do the actual work.
• What materials and equipment do you use?
Recently I went all digital. I use a Wacom Cintiq tablet to draw the comics then I color them in Photoshop, I use Manga Studio as the software on the Cintiq.
• What does your drawing space look like?
It’s a mess.
• What cartoonist has inspired you the most?
Hanna Barbera and Charles Schulz.
• What are your goals as a cartoonist?
To be in 2000 daily newspapers around the world.
• If not a cartoonist, what would you like to be or do then?
• What’s the best thing about being a cartoonist?
I enjoy entertaining people and making them laugh. With cartooning you are the writer, producer, director, actor, etc. You do it all.
• Which of your cartoon pieces is your favorite?
They all are. That’s like asking me which of my children is my favorite.
• How do you feel after you finished or while you are drawing?
After I complete a cartoon, I literally get giddy. Every single time. I love what I do.
• (Suppose) World is going to end in 5 minutes, what would you draw?
• What advice do you have for newbie cartoonist?
Just do it. Draw daily. Whether you publish online or just keep the cartoons to yourself, I would say to just draw daily.
- Money or Fame: Money
- Funny or Political: Funny
- Style or Idea: Idea
- Pizza or Burger: Burger
Describe Them In One Word
- Tom Falco: Eclectic
- Hate: Sad
- Love: Happy
- Walt Disney: Classic
- Friends: Love
- Family: Love
- Garfield: Meh
- Smile: Happy
Showcase of his work:
See more of his awesome work by visiting his website http://www.tomversation.com
Tom, Thank you so much for taking the time to answer the interview questions. It was honor talking to you! 🙂